Prof. M.N. Faruqui Computer Centre
Prof. M.N. Faruqui Computer Centre(PMNFCC) is one of the central facilities of the University. Since its inception in 1970, it has been successfully contributing towards National and International growth, by serving as a valuable resource for catalyzing adoption and implementation of state of the art/emerging technologies in the campus, thereby promoting academic excellence, research excellence, consultancy projects execution capacity building, and operational excellence for various departments/offices in the university.Central Computational Facilities:
In addition to Computing facilities available to users, in their respective departments/offices, the following additional computing facilities are also available at University Computer Centre, for Teachers, PDF/Ph.D. Students (Research Scholars)/ PG-Students / UG-Students:
|TEACHER'S LAB||:||8:00 am TO 10:00 pm|
|RESEARCH SCHOLAR'S LAB||:||8:00 am TO 10:00 pm|
|GCL / FOSS - LAB||:||8:00 am TO 10:00 pm (On all working days except Friday)
8:00 am TO 12.00 noon & 3.00 pm TO 10.00 pm (On Friday)
|ACL (Central Facility for Hands-On Skill Dev./Bench-marking)||:||09:00 am TO 05:00 pm (with prior reservation subjected to availability )|
Campus-Wide Networking Backbone:
The campus network of AMU, established and augmented through the University Computer Centre has 3-layer architecture.
The Core Layer is hosted at the Computer Centre. It is comprehensively maintained by the University Computer Centre.
For Distribution Layer (hosted at multiple & strategic locations across the campus) technical management of active components including monitoring and control is fully handled by Computer Centre. Administrative tasks (logistics, physical security, Physical Access Control) of distribution switches is jointly coordinated with the administrative heads of the departments/offices of those locations having distribution switch.
For Access Layer, hosted at end-user departments/offices, the operational management of edge switch and planning of local network beyond the point of edge switch is completely handled by the administrative head of the end-user departments (or his/her nominee). Prescriptive guidance & technical consultancy is provided to all department/offices of AMU from time-to-time, on need basis.
Campus Network Management: Operations and Maintenance of existing AMU campus network backbone, covering approximately 100 KM of OFC (Optical Fibre Cabling) and connecting all the faculties/departments of studies, administrative blocks, central library, various colleges (JNMC, ZHCET, Women's College, Tibbya College, SSSB, etc.) and 17 halls of residences.
IT-Services provisioned over Campus Network:
- Internet Services (2GBps): AMU internet services are being provided by a computer center across the Campus. University users can avail of the internet facility using either of the following two channels:
- Wired Internet Services are made available to all the eligible users across the campus through the campus network of AMU being managed and maintained by PMNFCC.
- Wireless Internet Services: AMU campus is Wi-Fi enabled. These Wi-Fi services are made available to students residing in all the 17 halls of residences using state of the art networking technology solution of CISCO.
- E-mail Services - Employees: Institutional E-mail services (amu.ac.in) for AMU employees
- E-mail Services - Students: Institutional E-mail services(myamu.ac.in) for AMU students
- FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) Adoption Support Services: A Centre of Excellence (COE) for FOSS adoption has been established to facilitate, support, and catalyze the adoption of free and open-source software in the University. The initiative of FOSS promotion is helping end-user community of the University to minimize the financial burden of expensive proprietary software without sacrificing the functional needs of end-user departments. FOSS COE organizes various short-term courses aimed at skill development of nominated resources of various departments from time-to-time.
- Technology Consulting Services: Technical support to various faculties of studies/departments of studies/Project Investigators (PI).
- Domain Hosting Services: Computer Centre is offering subdomains of amu.ac.in, as a service for enabling departments within AMU to host their websites within the existing technology infrastructure currently available at Computer Centre.
- Cloud Computing Services: PMNFCCis in the process of establishing and augmenting cost-effective Cloud Computing Services, for various departments of the University. A basic version of Private Cloud Data Centre has been established for the same to facilitate the provisioning of Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) by offering customized virtual servers for various departments requiring heavy computing infrastructure (servers) with 24x7 operational availability requirements. If the requirement is such that it cannot be accommodated in the private cloud then appropriate public/hybrid cloud solutions are recommended to the requisitioning department for the facilitation of computing needs of the end-users department.
- A Smart Communication Services (via email and SMS) designed and maintained in-house at PMNFCC,is very handy for sending point-to-point and broadcast messages to various categories of target recipients (like hall wise students/Officers/Chairman/Deans/All teaching staff, etc.) from time to time.
- AMU website (https://www.amu.ac.in) is a dynamic website, managed by the Website Committee of AMU. In the present website, all teachers as well as department heads are content editors for their respective areas. The website has provided suitable privileges in the content management solution to enable content owners (teachers as well as department heads) for maintaining their respective contents using self-service portal logins provided to all content owners. The central content of the website is maintained by the office of PRO (Public Relations Officer), AMU. All content owners are respective content editors as well. The website committee evaluates suggestions/requests for enhancement/feedback/comments and oversees the standardization of AMU website. All recommendations for changes to the existing design/structure of the website are comprehensively examined through a due-diligence process of change impact assessment. During periodic meetings of the website committee, change impact assessment reports are considered thoroughly prior to decision making on change requests.
- A Self Service Intranet Portal (myamu.ac.in) has been developed in-house and deployed for taking care of workflow-applications automation needs of the University. It is an effort being made to adopt the technology and paperless culture in the University.
- An IT-HelpDesk is operational, as per the best practices framework (ITIL v3), for facilitating service desk function for ICT users of the University for Technical Support to the university user's community for all the ICT-Services, as per the service catalogue of PMNFCC