Department of Hindi
About The Department
In view of Academic ordinance January 1948, teaching of Hindi at PG Level was added to Sanskrit Department and the department was renamed as Sanskrit-Hindi Department. Dr.G.N.Shukla was appointed as Lecturer grade II on September 1948. The second appointment in Hindi as Lecturer grade II was of Dr.Shiv Shankar Sharma who joined the department on August 16, 1950. The first person appointed as Reader & Head was Dr. H.L.Sharma on January 7, 1953. First Batch of M.A. passed out in 1950. Under the stewardship of Prof. H.L. Sharma the department progressed and obtained an important place in India and abroad. In 1964, the department started functioning independently. The department is known for its achievements in the field of Medieval and Modern Hindi literature. For the last Eighteen years the department is running a post graduate diploma in Hindi Translation. The department of Hindi has also introduced M.A.Hindi Translation in 2012.
The department at present offers PhD, MPhil, M.A.Hindi, M.A.Hindi Translation, PGDT(post graduate diploma in Hindi Translation), BA (Hons.) in Hindi, Subsidiary Hindi and Functional Hindi for UG students of other faculties and Certificate Proficiency course in Hindi Language.