The need for technical education at Aligarh was emphasized from time to time in the sessions of the All India Muslim Educational Conferences. In 1930, Mr. Obaidullah Durrani started industrial training in motor mechanics and machinist trade. Thus late Durrani Saheb was probably the real founder of the technical institute (University Polytechnic). In 1936, Diploma classes were started in Motor Engineering and Electrician courses and the first batch was passed out in 1938. Durrani Saheb acted as the Secretary of the technical courses from 1935 to 1936, its Superintendent from 1936 to 1938 and it?s Principal from 1938 to 1940.
The Polytechnic was looked after by a senior teacher designated as Superintendent, Polytechnic. Later, in 1961 a post of principal was created on which Late Mr. S. A. Abbas was appointed, and the Polytechnic became an independent institution under Faculty of Engineering & Technology. At that time diploma was awarded in three branches only, namely Civil, Electrical and Mechanical.
The University Polytechnic, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, a premier institution imparting technical education was established in 1937. It has been running three years Diploma in Engineering courses as mention below:
5. Instrumentation & Control
8. Leather and Footwear Technology
9. Construction Technology
10. Production Engg.
11. Refrigeration & Air-conditioning
12. Plastic Technology
13. Advanced Diploma in Food Technology.
14. Advance Diploma in Environmental Engineering.
The institution, besides running the courses at the Diploma Engineering level, have a number of job oriented courses and training programs running under:
1. Community Development through Polytechnic (CDTP),
2. Center for Development of Rural Technology (CDRT)
3. Training cum Prototype Extension Centre (TPEC)
4. Common Facility Center
The Polytechnic established Training cum Prototype Extension Centre (TPEC) for man power development and Common Facility Centre (CFC) in 1984. The TPEC is running 2-year training programme based on extensive practical works in two trades, namely "Machinist'' and ''Fitting cum Welding'' where as the CFC is providing facilities to the entrepreneurs who can not afford to have costly and sophisticated machines of their own and can hire these machines at very competitive charges and has almost become self sufficient. The functioning of the Community Polytechnic (which was closed due to non availability of funds) is restarted under new scheme i.e. ''Community Development through Polytechnic'' (CDTP) and under this scheme vocational training programme is carried out in the villages around Aligarh. (CDTP) is sponsored by Ministry of Human Resource Development and monitored by NITTTR Chandigarh. The scheme was started in 2009 with aim to train the youths of the under privileged class in various technical trades to enable them to earn their livelihood either through wage employment or self employment. Till date more than 6000 youths have completed their training and a big number of these trainees got job in various parts of the country as well as abroad.
The University Polytechnic being a part of the central university and directly govern by MHRD & UGC and has developed highly specialized labs on continuous basis. Some of the labs may be listed as: Work Shop with CNC machines, Environmental Engineering Lab with Spectro Photometer and Atomic Absorption equipment's, Survey lab with Total Station, Food Technology lab with 50 Lacs grant, Footwear Technology lab, Computer lab, Common Facilities Centre, Library besides the usual laboratories and drawing halls etc. in for different disciplines. The University also provides facilities for games, sports, cultural and literary activities besides the other opportunities enjoyed by the university students
There are about 80 faculty members, most of them having master degree and many of them with doctorate degree. Some teachers are associated with B.E. (Evening) degree level classes. The Polytechnic is providing consultancy services in civil engineering materials testing and civil works/
The University Polytechnic is active in organising events and workshops. Please find the highlights of the some of the events-
- The polytechnic was awarded a Northern Region award for being the best polytechnic in the region in 1990 and a National award for outstanding work done in the specified area of Engineering and Technology (Institutional Development) in 1991
- This year NITTTR Chandigarh has instituted an award for The best CDTP implementing institution for the northern region,which includes Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Chandigarh apart from Uttar Pradesh. It is a matter of pride for us that our University Polytechnic has bagged this prize for the services rendered in past years.
- A one week workshop on "Web Development using PHP" was organised by Computer Engineering, Electrical Engg Section, University Polytechnic in collaboration with AppicTech Solutions, Mathura from 11 September 2017 to 16 September 2017. Around 35 students and Faculty members benefitted from the workshop and certificates were distributed for the same.
- One day Workshop on intellectual Property Rights for Academic institutions organized by Mechanical Engg. Section University Polytechnic AMU, Aligarh.
University polytechnic has organised Swachhta Pakhwada from 1 Sept 2017 to 15 Sept 2017. During this, many programs were organised on cleanliness, sanitary and hygiene practices. One workshop was organised on 9th Sept 2017 as part of this, in which the Municipal Commissioner Sri Santosh Kumar Sharma participated as the chief guest. Sri Sharma discussed different programs run by Nagar Nigam Aligarh on this issue. In the same program, Dr Arshad Hussain of Civil Engg Section, discussed in detail the new technologies in the field of solid waste management. This program was attended by many teachers, retired faculty, students and higher authorities from the Nagar Nigam, Aligarh. During this Pakhwada, an essay competition was also organised and saw a large participation from the students.
List of Principals till
date are as follows:
1981-1983 Mr. H.A. Al-Hashmi.
1983-1998 Prof. Ziaul Hasan.
1998- 2000 Prof. Siddiq Hasan.
2000- 2001 Prof. Farid Ghani & Prof. V. K. Parashar.
2001- 30th May 2017 Prof. Syed Iqbal Ali
1st June 2017 to 31th July 2017 Prof. Mohd. Idrees, Dean Faculty of Engg. & Tech.
1st August 2017 Till Date Mr. M. Khalid Zamir Qureshi
Principal administers all academic and administrative affairs. He functions as a department under faculty of Engineering & Technology, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh. It has got about 78 teaching faculty and about 113 technical and non-teaching staff members. The Polytechnic caters to the educational needs of more than 1300 students besides about 2000 part time students.
University Polytechnic at a Glance.
Executive Officer: Principal (Chairman of all the BOS.)
No. of Sections: 06
5. Leather & Footwear Technology
6. Applied Science & Humanities
Each headed by the Incharge Section.
Each section has its own BOS
- In addition to above, classes of B.Sc/M.Sc. (Industrial Chemistry) are also conducted.
- BE (Evening): about 35-45% courses are engaged by the teachers of University Polytechnic.