The University Polytechnic, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh,
a premier institution imparting technical education was established in 1937. Its roots can be traced back to 1930, when Mr. Obaidullah Durrani started industrial training in motor mechanics and machinist trade to meet the growing demands for imparting technical education at Aligarh. Mr Durrani supervised and looked after this technical institute, which later became University Polytechnic, from 1936-1940. For many years, the Polytechnic was looked after by a senior teacher designated as Superintendent, Polytechnic. Later, in 1961 a post of principal was created on which Mr. S. A. Abbas was appointed, and the Polytechnic became an independent institution under the Faculty of Engineering & Technology. At that time diploma was awarded in three branches only- Civil, Electrical and Mechanical. Presently the Polytechnic offers the following Diploma in Engineering courses:
5. Instrumentation & Control
8. Leather Goods and Footwear Technology
9. Advanced Diploma in Food Technology.
10. Advance Diploma in Environmental Engineering.
In addition to the diploma courses, the Polytechnic boasts of having a number of job oriented courses/training programs under the following schemes.
1. Community Development through Polytechnic (CDTP),
2. Center for Development of Rural Technology (CDRT)
3. Training cum Prototype Extension Centre (TPEC)
4. Common Facility Center
The Polytechnic established Training cum Prototype Extension Centre (TPEC) for man power development and Common Facility Centre (CFC) in 1984. The TPEC is running 2-year training programme based on extensive practical works in two trades, namely "Machinist'' and ''Fitting cum Welding'', while CFC helps the entrepreneurs to become self sufficient by providing them access to sophisticated machines at a reasonable price. The functioning of the Community Polytechnic (which was closed due to non availability of funds) was restarted in 2009 under new scheme i.e. ''Community Development through Polytechnic'' (CDTP) and under this scheme vocational training programme is carried out in the villages around Aligarh. (CDTP) is sponsored by Ministry of Human Resource Development and monitored by NITTTR Chandigarh. The scheme was started with the aim to train the youths of the under-privileged class in various technical trades to enable them to earn their livelihood either through wage employment or self employment. Till date more than 6000 youths have benefited from this training and a big number of these trainees got jobs in various parts of the country as well as abroad.
Moreover, the Polytechnic being a part of a central university and being directly governed by the MHRD & UGC, has developed and maintained highly specialized labs of its own such as- Work Shop with CNC machines, Environmental Engineering Lab with Spectro Photometer and Atomic Absorption equipment's, Survey lab with Total Station, Food Technology lab with 50 Lacs grant, Footwear Technology lab, Computer lab, Common Facilities Centre, Library besides the usual laboratories and drawing halls catering to different disciplines. The University also provides facilities for games, sports, cultural and literary activities besides the other opportunities enjoyed by the university students.
About 80 faculty members serve the Polytechnic. Most of them have a masters degree while some have doctorate degrees as well. Many teachers also teach B.E. (Evening) degree level classes. The Polytechnic is providing consultancy services in civil engineering, material testing and civil works etc.
Furthermore, the Polytechnic is active in organising various events and workshops.
- The polytechnic was awarded a Northern Region award for being the best polytechnic in the region in 1990 and a National award for outstanding work done in the specified area of Engineering and Technology (Institutional Development) in 1991
- In 2017, NITTTR Chandigarh has instituted an award for The best CDTP implementing institution for the northern region, which includes Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Chandigarh apart from Uttar Pradesh. It is a matter of pride for us that our University Polytechnic has bagged this prize for the services rendered in past years.
- A one week workshop on "Web Development using PHP" was organised by Computer Engineering, Electrical Engg Section, University Polytechnic in collaboration with AppicTech Solutions, Mathura from 11 September 2017 to 16 September 2017. Around 35 students and Faculty members benefited from the workshop and certificates were distributed for the same.
- One day Workshop on intellectual Property Rights for Academic institutions organized by Mechanical Engg. Section University Polytechnic AMU, Aligarh.
University polytechnic has organised Swachhta Pakhwada from 1 Sept 2017 to 15 Sept 2017. During this, many programs were organised on cleanliness, sanitary and hygiene practices. One workshop which was organised on 9th Sept 2017 as part of this, had the Municipal Commissioner Mr. Santosh Kumar Sharma participate as the chief guest. Mr. Sharma discussed different programs run by the Municipal Corporation, Aligarh on this issue. In the same program, Dr Arshad Hussain of Civil Engg Section, discussed in detail the new technologies in the field of solid waste management. This program was attended by many teachers, retired faculty, students and higher authorities from the Municipal Corporation, Aligarh. During this Pakhwada, an essay competition was also organised which saw a large participation from the students.
List of Principals till date are as follows:
1957-1981- Mr. S.A.Abbas
1981-1983 Mr. H.A. Al-Hashmi.
1983-1998 Prof. Ziaul Hasan.
1998- 2000 Prof. Siddiq Hasan.
2000- 2001 Prof. Farid Ghani & Prof. V. K. Parashar.
2001- 30th May 2017 Prof. Syed Iqbal Ali
1st June 2017 to 31th July 2017 Prof. Mohd. Idrees, the then Dean Faculty of Engg. & Tech.
1st August 2017 to 31st December 2018 Mr. M. Khalid Zamir Qureshi
1st January 2019 to 3rd February 2019 Prof. Badrul Hasan Khan, Dean Faculty of Engg. & Tech.
4th February 2019 to present PROF. ARSHAD UMAR
Principal administers all academic and administrative affairs. He functions as a department under faculty of Engineering & Technology, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh. It has got about 78 teaching faculty and about 113 technical and non-teaching staff members. The Polytechnic caters to the educational needs of more than 1300 students and around 2000 part time students.
University Polytechnic at a Glance.
Executive Officer: Principal (Chairman of all the BOS.)
No. of Sections: 06
5. Leather & Footwear Technology
6. Applied Science & Humanities
Each headed by their respective Section Incharges and have their own BOS
- In addition to the above, classes of B.Sc/M.Sc. (Industrial Chemistry) are also conducted by the Polytechnic teachers.
- Also, 35-45% of the BE (Evening) courses are being taught by the teachers of the University Polytechnic.