The university now has 12 faculties
comprising 98 teaching departments, 3 academies and 15 centres and institution. University offers more than 300
courses in the traditional and modern branches of edu- cation. It draws students from all states in India
and from different countries, especially Africa, West Asia and Southeast Asia. There are 19 halls of residence
for students with 80 hostels.
In some courses, seats are reserved
for students from SAARC and Commonwealth Countries. The uni- versity keeps pace with the nations growth by
offering facilities for specialized learning in areas of technical, vocational and inter- disciplinary
studies. It has more than 28,000, students, 1,342 teachers and some 5,610 non-teaching staff on its rolls.
The university has opened two new
centres of study outside Aligarh w.e.f. 2011 at Murshidabad, West Bengal and Mallapurum at Kerala state. Games and
sports have been a distinctive feature of the AMU. The Cricket, football, hockey, Tennis, Basketball,
Skating and Horse Riding teams have excelled at the inter-University level. Perhaps this is the only
university with a Horse Riding Club.
The General Education centre is
the nucleus of most of the extra-curricular activities and caters to the cultural environment. This centre organises these
activities through its various clubs viz., the AMU Drama Club, The Hindustani and Western Music
Club, the Literary Club,Eco-Club and the Hobbies Workshop etc.
The university grew out of the work
of Sir Syed Ahmad Khan, the great Muslim reformer and states- man, who in the aftermath of the Indian War of
Independence of 1857 felt that it was important for Muslims to gain education and become involved
in the public life and government services in India. Raja Jai Kishan helped Sir Syed in establishing
The intense desire to ameliorate the
social conditions of Indian Muslims led Sir Syed to publish the pe- riodical, 'Tehzibul Akhlaq' .
In 1877, Sir Syed founded the Muhammadan
Anglo Oriental College in Aligarh and patterned the college after Oxford and Cambridge
His objective was to build a college
in tune with the British education system but without compromising its Islamic values.
It was one of the first purely residential educational institutions set up either
by the government or the public in India.
When viceroy to India Lord Curzon visited the college in 1901, he praised the work which was carried on and called
it of "sovereign importance".
The college was originally affiliated
with the University of Calcutta and subsequently got affiliated with the university of Allahabad in 1885. By 1920
the college was transformed into the Aligarh Muslim University.