Institute of Opthalmology
The Institute of Ophthalmology is a premier Institute of Ophthalmology in the Country, it was established in year 1952 as collaborative effort between Gandhi Eye Hospital & Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh. The founders were Dr. Zakir Husain, then Vice Chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University, who later became President of India & Dr. Mohan Lal. It was inaugurated by Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru in 1955. This institution was established with the sole aim of providing finest postgraduate clinical training and research in all sub specialties of Ophthalmology . Subsequently with the establishment of Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College in Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh in 1962, it was incorporated as a full-fledged department of Ophthalmology in J.N. Medical College, Aligarh. Since then it is also imparting undergraduate teaching and training to the students of MBBS. The Institute of Ophthalmology is also running two para medical courses-Diploma in Ophthalmic Assistance of two years duration and Diploma in Orthoptics of one year duration. The Institute of Ophthalmology is one of the most reputed institutions of ophthalmic training & learning in the Country imparting training to the students of postgraduate Diploma in Ophthalmology of two years duration and M.S. in Ophthalmology of three years duration . The alumni of this institution are spread all over the Country and abroad and are contributing in their own way for advancement of Ophthalmology. Aligarh is famous for three things, as mentioned in Encyclopedia Britannica, Aligarh Muslim University, Institute of Ophthalmology (Eye Hospital) & Locks.