GLOBAL INITIATIVE OF ACADEMIC NETWORKS (GIAN)
Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN) in Higher Education is a promising
scheme of the Government of India through the Ministry of Human Resource
Development. GIAN aims at tapping the talent pool of scientists, experts and
entrepreneurs to engage with the institutes of higher education in India to
augment the country's existing academic resources, accelerate the pace of
quality reforms, and further strengthen India's scientific and technological
This programme was initially conceptualized as an Indo-US collaboration but was later its scope was extended. In order to garner the best international experience into our systems of education, enable interaction of students and faculty with the best academic and industry experts from all over the world and also share their experiences and expertise to motivate people to work on Indian problems, during the 'Retreat' of IITs with Minister of Human Resource Development on 29th June, 2014 at Goa, it was decided that "A system of Guest Lectures by internationally and nationally renowned experts would be evolved along with a comprehensive Faculty Development Programme not only for new IITs, IIMs, IISERs but also other institutions and Universities in the country”.
The scheme connects India’s top institutions and Central universities with global faculty. It will be helpful for adoption of new methods in teaching, boosting research and cutting edge technologies and building stronger academic networks.
IIT Kharagpur is the nodal institution and national coordinator for the GIAN programme. Keeping the importance of this scheme and to further enrich the University’s scientific, technological and research capabilities, Aligarh Muslim University, has taken keen interest in hosting the GIAN programme. So far 16 proposals have been submitted to the GIAN by our Faculty members.
THE GIAN SCHEME HAS BEEN LAUNCHED TO ACHIEVE THE FOLLOWING OBJECTIVES:
· To increase the footfalls of reputed international faculty in the Indian academic institutes.
· Provide opportunity to our faculty to learn and share knowledge and teaching skills in cutting edge areas.
· To provide opportunity to our students to seek knowledge and experience from reputed International faculty.
· To create avenue for possible collaborative research with the international faculty
· To increase participation and presence of international students in the academic Institutes.
· Opportunity for the students of different Institutes/Universities to interact and learn subjects in niche areas through collaborative learning process.
· Provide opportunity for the technical persons from Indian Industry to improve understandings and update their knowledge in relevant areas.
· Motivate the best international experts in the world to work on problems related to India.
· Develop high quality course material in niche areas, both through video and print that can be used by a larger body of students and teachers.
· To document and develop new pedagogic methods in emerging topics of national and international interest.
The office of the GIAN is located at A-4, Zakaullah Road, AMU Aligarh – 202 002 (UP).