Hydrogeology, Environmental Geology
AB-38, Medical Colony, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
Prof. Rashid Umar has obtained his Ph.D. degree in Geology from Aligarh Muslim University (A.M.U.) in 1991. Before joining AMU as a lecturer in 1998, he worked as a Hydrogeologist in the Ministry of Water Resources Sultanate of Oman and Mott MacDonald International. Presently, he is working as a Professor in the Department of Geology, A.M.U. Aligarh. His teaching interests mainly include Hydrogeology & Environmental Geology. The focus areas of his research are Hydrochemistry, Groundwater Resource Evaluation, Aquifer Modelling & Aquifer Vulnerability studies.
He has more than fifty research publications in peer reviewed journals of national and international repute viz. Hydrogeology Journal, Environmental Monitoring Assessment, Environmental Earth Science, Journal of Earth System Science, Current Science, Groundwater for Sustainable Development, Journal Geological Society of India etc. Total citation of his papers is more than 1000 with H-index 18 and i-10 index 29. He has supervised 10 doctoral theses and 3 M. Phil dissertations while 6 Ph. D are currently working under his supervision. Currently, he is also working in the field of Urban Hydrogeology, hydrogeochemistry of hot spring and cold springs and vulnerability mapping of hard rock aquifers. He has also completed major research projects funded by MoWR Govt. of India and Department of Science Technology and one minor research project funded by UGC-AMU. Attended several International and National Conferences, congress and workshops. Received INC IAH Award for Excellence in Ground Water Science, Indian National Chapter of International Association of Hydrogeologist, 2019
- Key Publications
- Naseem us Saba and Rashid Umar (2021). Identification of the processes controlling groundwater quality in shallow aquifers of Moradabad city, west Uttar Pradesh, India. Environment, Development and Sustainability, 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10668-020-01196-w.
- Ilma Arshad and Rashid Umar (2020). Status of urban hydrogeology research with emphasis on India. Hydrogeology Journal, 28:477-490.
- Shamshaad Ahmad, Rashid Umar and Ilma Arshad (2019) Groundwater Quality Appraisal and its Hydrogeochemical Characterization – Mathura City, Western Uttar Pradesh. Journal Geological Society of India, 94(6):611-623
- Khan, I., and Rashid Umar (2019). Environmental risk assessment of coal fly ash on soil and groundwater quality, Aligarh, India. Groundwater for Sustainable Development, 8:346-357.
- Naseem us Saba, Rashid Umar and Ahmad, S. (2016). Assessment of groundwater quality of major industrial city of Central Ganga plain, Western Uttar Pradesh, India through mass transport modeling using chloride as contaminant. Groundwater for Sustainable Development, 2:154-168.
- Arina Khan, Haris Hasan Khan, Rashid Umar, Muneeb Hasan Khan (2014). An integrated approach for aquifer vulnerability mapping using GIS and rough sets: study from an alluvial aquifer in North India. Hydrogeology Journal, DOI 10.1007/s10040-014-1147-8
- Zameer Ahmad Shah and Rashid Umar (2014). Stable Isotopic and hydrochemical studies in a part of Central Ganga Basin. Journal of Geological Society of India. 85: 706-716
- Rashid Umar and Fakhre Alam (2012) Assessment of Hydrogeochemical characteristics of groundwater in parts of Hindon – Yamuna interfluve region, Baghpat District, western Uttar Pradesh. Journal of Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 184(4): 2321-2336, DOI 10.1007/s10661-011-2120-9
- M MuqtadaA Khan and Rashid Umar (2010) Significance of silica analysis in groundwater in parts of Central Ganga Plain, Uttar Pradesh, India. Current Science, V. 98 (9), pp. 1237-1240.
- Rashid Umar, Izrar Ahmed and Fakhre Alam (2009) Mapping Groundwater Vulnerable Zones using Modified DRASTIC approach of an alluvial aquifer in parts of Central Ganga Plain, Western Uttar Pradesh. Jour. Geological. Society. of India, 73:193-201.