BSc (Hons.), MSc-Applied Geology, M.Phil, PhD
Hydrochemistry, Groundwater flow and solute transport modeling, Aquifer vulnerability and pollution Risk mapping, Aquifer Storage Recovery (ASR) and Artificial recharge studies, Strategic Groundwater management & protection policies, regulations and guideline documents, Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) studies, Integrated Water Resources Management Studies, Feasibility and execution of Waste water injection, Well Head Protection program, Groundwater awareness campaign, Heavy metals contamination in Soils and Groundwater resources
Dr. Izrar Ahmad, an M.Sc. (Applied Geology) Gold Medalist, has 16 years of extensive work experience with different International research organizations and universities. Right after completing his Ph.D., he joined the UNESCO office in New Delhi for a short post-doctoral fellowship and worked developing a major project on water-energy nexus, relating groundwater depletion with energy consumption, environmental degradation, and far reaching socio-economic consequences. Later in 2009, he joined as an Assistant Professor at King Saud University, KSA under distinguished researcher program. In KSA, he has been a part of several research groups, involved in writing, reviewing, and working as a co-Investigator in 2 projects funded by the National Plan for Science and Technology (NPST), KSA. He also worked with ArRiyadh development authority as visiting hydrogeological consultant. In 2015, Dr. Izrar joined Environment Department, DM as a Groundwater Specialist & Team leader, worked developing groundwater policy, monitoring programs, and sustainable management initiatives. In addition, he also efficiently completed around 10 key projects of different groundwater theme. Dr. Izrar advised his office in Federal initiatives like Integrated Water Resources Management strategy, developing MoUs with Universities & Research institutes, UAE's hydrogeological mapping, Wellhead protection program, water scarcity, City masterplan & Landuse planning, landfill siting, and groundwater depletion etc. He was awarded with the best employee award for two consecutive years in 2018 and 2019, for rendering his excellent research work and team management.
Dr. Izrar has published about 25 scholarly research papers in reputed international geoscience journals like Environmental Earth Sciences, Environmental Monitoring Assessment, Journal of Earth System Sciences, Arabian Journal of Geosciences, Geological Society of India, Current Science, Journal of African Earth Sciences, Environmental Engineering Research, Groundwater for sustainable development, to name a few. Dr. Izrar is also an active reviewer in many reputed journals. In addition, he has written several technical guideline documents, high-level technical reports and State of Environment (SoE) reports. He has been a member of several international conferences and geoscience societies.
Dr. Izrar's future research orientations are Role of hydrogeology in urban planning, Water-Energy nexus, modeling fate & transport of heavy metals in soils and waters.
- Nazzal, Y., Ahmad, I., Al-Arifi, N.S.N. et al. (2015) A combined Hydrochemical-statistical analysis of Saq aquifer, northwestern part of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Geosci J 19, 145–155 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12303-014-0016-8
- R. Umar, Izrar Ahmed (2009) Sustainability of shallow aquifer in Yamuna-Krishni interstream region, Western Uttar Pradesh, India-A quantitative assessment, In: Trends and sustainability of groundwater in highly stressed aquifers (Proc. Of Symposium JS.2 a
- R. Umar, F. Alam and Izrar Ahmed (2007), “Groundwater quality characteristics and its suitability for drinking and agriculture uses of Hindon-Yamuna sub basin in parts of western Uttar Pradesh.” Indian Journal of Geochemistry, V.22 (2).
- Nazzal, Y., Ahmed, Izrar., Al-Arifi, N.S.N. et al. A pragmatic approach to study the groundwater quality suitability for domestic and agricultural usage, Saq aquifer, northwest of Saudi Arabia. Environ Monit Assess 186, 4655–4667 (2014). https://doi.org/1
- R. Umar, Izrar Ahmad, F. Alam and M. M. A. Khan (2009) Hydrochemical characteristics and seasonal variations in groundwater quality of an alluvial aquifer in parts of Central Ganga Plain, Western Uttar Pradesh, India, Environmental Earth Sciences (Springe
- Izrar Ahmad, R. Umar (2009) Groundwater flow modeling of Yamuna-Krishni inter-stream, a part of central Ganga Plain Uttar Pradesh, J. Earth System Sciences (Springer) 118(5) 507-523.
- R. Umar, M. Muqtada. A. Khan, Izrar Ahmed and S. Ahmed (2008) Implication of Kali-Hindon inter-stream aquifer water balance for groundwater management in Western Uttar Pradesh, Jour. Earth System Sci. (Springer) 117(1): 69-78.
- Izrar Ahmed, R. Umar (2008), “Hydrogeological framework and water balance studies in parts of krishni-Yamuna interstream area, Western Uttar Pradesh, India” Environmental Earth Sciences (Springer) 53:1723-1730.
- Abdulaziz A. Al-Othman and Izrar Ahmed (2012) Hydrogeological framework and its implication on water level rise in Eastern ArRiyadh, Saudi Arabia, Environmental Earth Science Journal, (Springer) 67(5): 1493-1502. (IF=1.445)
- Izrar Ahmed, Al-Othman AA, Umar R. (2013) Is shrinking groundwater resources leading to socio-economic and Environmental degradation in Central Ganga Plain, India? Arabian Journal of Geosciences, DOI 10.1007/s12517-013-1058-3.
- F. Zaidi, Izrar Ahmed et al (2015) Identification of potential Artificial Groundwater Recharge zones in North Western Saudi Arabia using GIS and Boolean Logic, Journal of African Earth Sciences 111:156-169, DOI: 10.1016/j.jafrearsci.2015.07.008.
- Izrar Ahmed et al (2015) Hydrogeological vulnerability and pollution risk mapping of the Saq and overlying aquifers using the DRASTIC model and GIS techniques, NW Saudi Arabia, Environmental Earth sciences, 74, pages1303–1318
- F. Zaidi, Izrar Ahmed et al (2015) Hydrochemical processes governing groundwater quality of sedimentary aquifers in Central Saudi Arabia and its environmental implications, Environmental Earth Sciences 74(2), DOI: 10.1007/s12665-015-4150-z.
- F. Zaidi, Izrar Ahmed et al (2015) Reverse ion exchange as a major process controlling the groundwater chemistry in an arid environment: a case study from northwestern Saudi Arabia, October 2015, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 187(10), DOI: 10.10
- F Zaidi, Izrar Ahmed et al (2015) A combination of principal component analysis and geostatistics as a technique in the assessment of groundwater hydrochemistry in arid environment: a case study of central Saudi Arabia, March 2015, Current science 108(6):
- F. Zaidi, Izrar Ahmed et al (2016) Evaluation of metals that are potentially toxic to agricultural surface soils, using statistical analysis, in northwestern Saudi Arabia, Environmental Earth Sciences 75(2), DOI: 10.1007/s12665-015-4800-1.
- Izrar Ahmed et al (2017) Groundwater pollution risk mapping using modified DRASTIC model in parts of Hail region of Saudi Arabia, October 2017, Environmental Engineering Research 23(1).
- Nazzal Y, Howari FM, Iqbal J, Izrar Ahmed, BouOrm N, Yousef A, (2019) Investigating aquifer vulnerability and pollution risk employing modified DRASTIC model and GIS techniques in Liwa area, United Arab Emirates, Groundwater for Sustainable Development V
- Izrar Ahmed et al (2019) Hydro-chemical characterization of groundwater to align with sustainable development goals in the Emirate of Dubai, UAE, Environmental Earth Sciences, 78:44.
- Izrar Ahmed et al (2009) Mapping groundwater vulnerable zones using modified DRASTIC approach of an alluvial aquifer in parts of Central Ganga Plain, Western Uttar Pradesh, Jour. Geol. Soc. India (Springer) 73(2): 193-201.
- Izrar Ahmed et al (2019) Raising Groundwater Awareness to Support Groundwater Protection Policy in the Emirate of Dubai, UAE, 8 International Conference on Water Resources and th Arid Environments (ICWRAE 8): 553-560, 22-24 January 2019, Riyadh, Saudi Ara
- Izrar Ahmed, Neupane, B. (2008) Impact assessment of climate change in highly cultivated tracts of Central Ganga Plain, in proceedings of International Conference on “Climate Change, Biodiversity & Food Security in the South Asian Region” at CII, Sector 3
- R. Umar, Izrar Ahmed and F. Alam, (2007) “Major Ion Chemistry of the Groundwater in parts of Krishni-Yamuna Interfluves western Uttar Pradesh” Proceedings of Groundwater 2007 National Seminar on Agriculture Development and Rural drinking Water, Vol II, he