Department of Geography
Prof. Shahab Fazal
|Thrust Area :||Urban Fringe; Land Use, Land Transformation; GIS|
|Address :||D - 12, Monarch Apartments, Manzoorgarh Bypass Road, Aligarh, 202002|
|Download :||Click here to download study materials|
Shahab Fazal is Professor of Geography. He obtained his graduation and post graduation from Rajasthan University in Ist Division. Later he joined AMU and completed his Ph.D. Prof. Fazal started his teaching career in 1994 as Lecturer at Aligarh Muslim University. His research interests are in Land use, Land transformation issues in urban fringe, Remote Sensing and GIS.
He has published Fourteen books and more than Fifty research articles in various national and international journals such as Land Use- Policy, Environment and Urbanization, Landscape and Urban Planning, Habitat International, Asian Profile, Journal of Indian Society of Remote Sensing, Journal of Environmental Protection, Journal of Geographical Information Systems etc.
He is recipient of prestigious fellowships such as-
United States of America - Fulbright Fellowship (2013-14).
British Government-Commonwealth Academic Staff Fellowship (2004)
Canadian Government - Shastri Faculty Research Fellowship (2003 and 2009)
Netherlands Government- NWO-ICSSR Visiting Professor (2011)
DST-DAAD Fellowship (2000-2001)
DST Young Scientist Award 2000
CSIR Fellowship (1991-93)
He was also member of Indo -German Joint Research Team working for DST - DAAD Research Project. He has successfully completed four Major Research Projects sponsored by DST, ICSSR, DST-DAAD and SICI (Canada).
Prof. Shahab Fazal has extensive collaborative research with some of the leading institutions from western world. His academic visits and research includes United States of America; Great Britain; Canada; Germany; The Netherlands; Sweden; Belgium; France; Switzerland; Italy etc.
Prof. Fazal has also coordinated several Refresher Courses/Winter Schools on Disaster Management for UGC-Academic Staff College at AMU. He was also coordinator of DST Sponsored Winter School on Application of RS&GIS for Natural Resource Management. Prof. Fazal has also Coordinated MHRD sponsored GIAN Program in 2018.
Prof. Shahab Fazal has been awarded "Distinguished Scientist" award for his contribution in Land Use Studies by Centre for Advanced Research and Design, Venus International Foundation, Chennai (2015).
Presently he is on the editorial board of Research Journals such as URBAN PLANNING - Cogitatio (Portugal); THE GEOGRAPHER - (India); PUNJAB GEOGRAPHER - (India), National Geographical Journal of India (NGJI) BHU - India.
1. GIS Basics, New Age International Publishers, New Delhi (2008).
2. Remote Sensing Basics, Kalyani Publishers, New Delhi. (2009).
3. Land Use Dynamics in a Developing Economy. Regional Perspectives from India. Springer International Publishers. The Netherlands. (2013)
4. Peri – Urban Livelihoods: Opportunities and Challenges. Concept Publications . New Delhi (2014)
5. Livelihood and Wellbeing in the Urban Fringe. Springer International Publishers, Switzerland. (2016)
1. Land-use change in the ‘edgelands’: Policies and pressures in London's rural–urban fringe. Land Use Policy, Elsevier Science Publication, Vol. 28, No.1 United Kingdom. 2011, pp 266-279.
Impact Factor: 2.536 Digital Object Identifier: 10.1016/j.landusepol.2010.06.007
2. Addressing congestion and transport-related air pollution in Saharanpur, India. Environment and Urbanization, IIED, Vol.18. No.2, London. 2006. pp 141-154.
Impact Factor: 1.667 Digital Object Identifier: 10.1177/0956247806063970
3. Boatmen and Status of Dal Lake and Its Environs: A Tale of Srinagar. Environment and Urbanization Asia, SAGE, 2013, 4(1) 73–92. Digital Object Identifier: 10.1177/0975425313477727
4. Urban Expansion and Loss of Agricultural Land. A GIS Based Study of Saharanpur City, India. Environment and Urbanization, Vol.12. No.2, IIED, London, 2000. pp 133- 149.
Impact Factor: 1.667 Digital Object Identifier: 10.1177/095624780001200211
5. Livelihood transformations and its impact on the living standard in the urban fringe: A regional perspective from India. Annals of the National Association of Geographers, India, Vol. XXXVI, No. 2, December 2016. pp 101-122..
6. Effects of Land Transformation on Water Quality of Dal Lake, Srinagar, India. Journal of Indian Society of Remote Sensing, Springer Publications. (2013), Digital Object Identifier: 10.1007/s12524-013-0297-9