Interdisciplinary Biotechnology Unit
Prof. Mohammad Owais
|Thrust Area :||Molecular Immunology and Nano Technology|
|Address :||4/808 Sir Syed Nagar, Aligarh|
Besides active involvement in teaching modern biochemistry/biotechnology courses to M.Sc./Ph.D students, Prof. Owais has successfully established a small but active research group with focus on nano-particle-based novel delivery systems including dendrimers/virosomes for gene packaging and liposomes, niosomes, microspheres, solid core lipid nano-particles for vaccine delivery, gene delivery, targeted drug delivery etc; with a view to increase the efficacy and safety of encapsulated chemo-therapeutic agents/sub-unit vaccines against some important infectious diseases.
The research focus of Prof. Owais group has been on:
Nanoparticles based antigen/DNA vaccines against various infectious diseases with special converge on intracellular pathogens.
Novel nano-carriers for targeted delivery of encapsulated therapeutic agents (siRNA/chemical compounds) for improved treatment of cancer and some imperative infectious diseases.
Nanoparticles with assorted applications in the field of diagnostics, taste/odor masking and treatment of hyperbilirubinemia in model animals.
A glance at some of the coveted academic achievements:
National Bioscience Award-2007 by DBT, Govt. of India
Rashtriya Gaurav Award-2013
Trav. Bursary Award (JAPAN)-2014
TATA Innovation Award-2013
Young Scientist Award (MYSA) -2002
Best University Teacher Award-2009
Outstanding University Researcher Award-2008
Fogarty International Fellow, NIH, (USA)
Published work displayed on cover page of FEMS Immunol. Med Microbiology for all the issues of Year 2006
Published work highlighted on cover page of Molecular Medicine in May-June issue of Year 2007
Technology Transfer to Cadilla Pharmaceuticals Ltd. under PRDSF program of DST, Govt. of India
Technology Transfer to Gennova Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
GATE 1987, Percentile 98.89;
GATE 1988, percentile 97.36
UGC-CSIR Research Fellow (JRF 1988 & JRF 1989)
The article entitled as Phospholipid diversity: correlation with membrane membrane fusion events. Biochim Biophys. Acta (Biomembrane) (2005) 1669: 170-181 was categorized among top 25 by Science Direct.
Another article entitled as Ethanol production from crude whey by Kluyveromyces marxianus. Biochemical Engineering Journal (2006) 27: 295-297 was categorized among top 25 by Science Direct.
Best poster Award on work entitled as Escheriosome entrapped soluble blood stage antigens impart protective immunity against a multidrug resistant isolate of Plasmodium yoelii nigeriensis in BALB/c mice at Indo-Australian Conference on Biotechnology in infectious diseases at Kasturba Medical College, MAHE, Manipal
Best poster Award on work entitled as Fusogenic potential of sperm membrane lipids: Natures wisdom to accomplish targeted gene delivery at International symposium on the Predictive, Preventive and Mechanistic Mutagenesis & XXXIII EMSI annual Meeting, AMU, Aligarh during Jan 1-3, 2008.
Three articles co-authored by applicant have been ranked with THREE STARS by BIOWIZARD, The Biomedical Research Portal.
1. Sharma et. al. (2006) Escheriosome entrapped soluble blood stage antigens impart protective immunity against a multi-drug resistant isolate of Plasmodium yoelii nigeriensis in BALB/c mice, Vaccine 24(7): 948-956.
2. Bajpai et. al. (2005) Concomitant delivery of tetracycline and DEC against experimental filariasis. J Drug Targetting 13(6): 375-381.
3. Mittal et. al. (2005) Expression, purification and characterization of Leishmania donovani trypanothione reductase in E. coli. Protein Expression and Purification 40: 279-286.
Member of Editorial Boards of various international journals
1. The open Vaccine Journal (Bentham Press)
2. BioMed Research International (Hindawi Publishing Group)
3. Journal of Clinical Medicine Research (Academic Press)
4. Journal of Chinese Clinical Medicine
5. Biomedical Research
6. World Journal of Critical infectious diseases (BPG Press)
7. World Journal of Experimental medicine (BPG Press)
8. Member of the International Advisory Board of the 12th International
Liposome Research DAYS & 3rd conference on Lipid, Liposomes &
Membrane biophysics held at Vancouver, Canada (Aug 4-8, 2010)