Interdisciplinary Biotechnology Unit
Prof. Asad U Khan
|Thrust Area :||Drug resistance mechanism, Drug designing, Biofilm, Photodynamic threrapy and infection control, Nanomedicine|
Dr. Asad U Khan graduated in Chemistry and did his post graduate in Biotechnology in 1994 and obtained a doctorate in Biochemistry from Aligarh Muslim University in association with International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology,New Delhi.He joined as lecturer in 1997 and later proceeded for his post doctoral research in RUTGERS University, New Jersey,USA during 2000-2003 for three years.Currently he is Professor and Coordinator in Biotechnology Unit.Dr Khan is recipient of many Fellowships and awards. He is recipient of BOYSCAST Fellowship of DST, Government of India to work as Visiting Scientist in one of the laboratories in University of Napoli, Italy during 2005. In year 2010 Dr.Khan has visited Hospital Biceter , Paris under DBT-CREST award programme of Department of Biotechnology. He has received grants from DST CSIR DBT ICMR and CCRUM. Dr Khan is member of Editorial board of several International journals. He has edited Three books and author of over 200 Research articles in the peer reviewed journals with high impact factor with H-index of 30. He is member of many national and international academic bodies. On all these achievements Aligarh Muslim University conferred an Outstanding Research Award of the year to Prof Asad Ullah Khan on the day of Sir Syed day celebration in 2014.On administrative front Prof Khan served as coordinator (Head) of the Unit from 2012 to 2015. Moreover, he has also served as coordinator of DBT-BUILDER Progarmme and DST-PURSE programme of Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India.
Prof Asad U Khan appointed as Adjunct Professor in University of Catolica San Antonio de Murcia (UCAM) Spain for the period of two years.
Prof Asad U Khan of Biotechnology, appointed as expert member of steering committee of UK Academy of Medical Sciences and Hamied Foundation UK-India AMR Programme.
Prof Asad U Khan of Biotechnology , Recognised as eminent researcher in the field of Antimicrobial Resistance by Government of India and research Council UK as per the prepared ?Scoping Report on Antimicrobial Resistance? in India which was released on November 2017 during Newton?s Award function in New Delhi.
On NDM-4 Discovery NEONA Film interviewed Prof Khan for a Documentary on Antibiotic Resistance; Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R61xH6Yl6h0
Important Awards and recognition:
-Selected as Featured Article : https://bmcmicrobiol.biomedcentral.com/
Invited Blog for BMC Series: http://blogs.biomedcentral.com/bmcseriesblog/2017/04/28/human-destiny-post-antibiotic-era/
Khan, AU, Maryam, L and Zarrilli, R "Structure, Genetics and Worldwide Spread of New Delhi Metallo-β-lactamase (NDM): a threat to public health" BMC Microbiology (2017) 17:101 DOI: 10.1186/s12866-017-1012-8
-Appointed as expert member of steering committee of UK Academy of Medical Sciences and Hamied Foundation UK-India AMR Programme.
-Appointed as Adjunct Professor in University of Catolica San Antonio de Murcia (UCAM) Spain for the period of two years (2017-29)
Recipient of Wockhardt Excellence Award of Jamia Hamdard 2018 (Silver plaque and 3 lakh rupees cash).
-Elected Fellow of Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC)
INSA-International Collaborating / Bilateral Exchange Programme Award 2017 of Indian National Science Academy
Fellow of Biotech Research Society, India ( 2014)
Fellow of Indian Academy of Microbiological Sciences ( 2014)
?First Recipient? of Outstanding Research Award ( Rupees One Lakh) of the Year 2014 conferred by AMU.
Recipient of National Bioscience Award for Career Development? ( Rupees One Lakh) of Government of India, Department of Biotechnology for the year 2012.
Scival Solution of Elsevier an International publishing company recognized Asad U Khan as top third cited author and highest publication during 2008-2012 in Aligarh Muslim University .
Thesis Advisor of 2012 Eli Lilly Outstanding Thesis Awardee
Recipient of DBT-CREST Award of 2011 as visiting fellow in France
Recipient of Most Active Teacher?s Award 2010 in AMU
Recipient of AGD Prize in 4rth Ditan International Conference on Infectious diseases held Beijing, China during July 15-18, 2010.
My Lab received Most Active Researcher Award of University in 2010
Recipient of AMI-ALEMBIC Award of 2009 in Medical Microbiology.
My Lab received Most Active Researcher Award of University in 2009
Recipient of Out Standing Merit Award of 2009 in AMU.
Recipient of Young Scientist Award of Association of Microbiologist of India in Medical Microbiology for the year 2006.
Indian National Science Academy Visiting Fellowship for the year 2006-07.
BOYSCAST Fellowship of the year 2004-05 was awarded by Department of Science and Technology , Government of India, New Delhi.
Honorary Member of Advisory Board of Archives of Applied Sciences and Research. (2009-till date)
Member of French public scientific organizations CNRS and INSERM to Review Grants.
Member of Netherlands Organization for Health Research and Development (ZonMw) to reviewer the grant proposals that have been submitted to the Priority Medicines Antimicrobial Resistance Programme
Member of Bioinformatic and computational Biology Task Force in DBT, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India (2013-onward)
Member of Advisory committee of GBioFin, Gate to Biotechnology Industries, Organization and foundation, India ( 2014-onward.
Member of Organizing committee of 5th International conference on Proteomics and Bioinformatics held in Spain, during September 1-3, 2015. ( http://proteomicsconference.com/organizing-committee.php )
Member of Organizing committee 6th International Conference and Expo on Proteomics held on March 29-30, 2016 in Atlanta, USA. http://proteomicsconference.com/america/organizing-committee.php
Interviewed by TV channels and Electronic Media for NDM-4 Discovery:
LIVE MINT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWye03RIh0w
Times of India
My research of NDM-4 was taken for Documentary Film on Drug resistance by: Neona Films (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R61xH6Yl6h0)
Selected significant Publications: (Total publications: 202)
Azam MW, Khan AU. "Updates on the pathogenicity status of Pseudomonas aeruginosa." Drug Discov Today. 2018 Jul 20. pii: S1359-6446(18)30235-6. (IF: 6.8)
- Khan AU, Ali, A, Danishuddin, Srivastava, G and Sharma A " Potential inhibitors designed against NDM-1 type metallo-ï?¢-lactamases : an attempt to enhance efficacies of antibiotics against multi-drug-resistant bacteria" Scientific Report , 2017 Sep 6;7(1):10654.
- Zuberi A Ahmad N and Khan AU " CRISPRi induced suppression of fimbriae gene (fimH) of a Uropathogenic Escherichia coli: a novel therapeutic approach against the battle between microbial biofilms and host immunity" Front. Immunology ( in press) (IF: 6.4).
- Zuberi, A, Misba, L and Khan AU, "CRISPR interference (CRISPRi) inhibition of luxS gene expression in E. coli: an approach to inhibit biofilm. Front. Cell. Infect. Microbiol. 2017; 7:214. https://doi.org/10.3389/fcimb.2017.00214. ( IF: 5.2).
- Zaidi S, Misba L and Khan AU " Nano-therapeutics: A revolution in infection control in post antibiotic era" Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine 2017 S1549-9634(17)30123-5. (IF: 6).
Khan, AU, Maryam, L and Zarrilli, R "Structure, Genetics and Worldwide Spread of New Delhi Metallo-β-lactamase (NDM): a threat to public health" BMC Microbiology (2017) 17:101 DOI: 10.1186/s12866-017-1012-8 [ Fetured article selected on web site: https://bmcmicrobiol.biomedcentral.com/]
- Khan AU “A long journey of antibiotic resistance: is MCR-1 last stop?” Lancet Inf Dis. (2016) Comments onhttp://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(15)00424-7 (IF: 22) “http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099%2815%2900424-7/abstract.
- Danishuddin and Khan AU "Descriptors and their selection methods in QSAR analysis: Paradigm for Drug Design" Drug Dis. Today ( 2016) in press ( IF: 6 ).
- Khan AU and RehmanMT “Role of non-active site residue Trp-93 in the function and stability of New Delhi Metallo-β-Lactamase-1 (NDM-1)” Antimicrobial Agent Chemotherapy 2015 Nov 2;60(1):356-60. ( IF: 4.6).
- Rehman, MT, Shamsi, H and Khan AU “ An insight into the binding mechanism of imipenem to human serum albumin by spectroscopic and computational approaches” Mol. Pharmaceutics ( 2015) 11:1785-97. ( IF: 4.7)
- Kulshrestha S, Khan S, Meena R, Singh BR, Khan, AU. “Graphene/Zinc Oxide nanocomposite film protects dental implant surface against cariogenic Streptococcus mutans” Biofouling ( 2014) 30(10):1281-94. ( IF: 3.7)
- Barira Islam, Shahper N. Khan, Irfanul Haque, M. Alam, M. Mushfiq and Asad U. Khan* ”Novel anti-adherence activity of Mulberry Leaves: Inhibition of Streptococcus mutans Biofilm by 1-Deoxynojirimycin isolated from Morus alba” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (2008) 62(4):751-7. (IP: 5.33).
- Xiaoyuan He, Asad U Khan, Hailing Cheng, , Donald Papas , Michael Hampsey, and Clair moore “ Functional Interaction between the Transcription and mRNA 3’-end Processing Machineries mediated by Ssu72 and Sub1” Genes & Development (2003) 17: 1030-1042. (IF: 16.8)
- Khan, A.U*. and Hampsey M, “Connecting the DOTs: Covalent histone modifications and the formation of silent chromatin” TRENDS in Genetics (2002) 18: 387-389. (IF: 12.2)