Department of Bio-chemistry (Life Sciences)
Prof. Mohammad Tabish
|Qualification :||M.Sc, Ph.D.|
|Thrust Area :||Transcriptomics, bioinformatics|
Research interest: The regulation of human gene expression is known to be an extraordinarily complex process, including transcription, mRNA processing, mRNA transport, mRNA stability, mRNA translation, protein modification and protein stability. Alternative splicing of a single pre-mRNA can give rise to different mRNA transcripts consequently, generating protein diversity from a single gene. In humans, it is estimated that more than 70% of human protein coding genes undergo alternative splicing. Alternative splicing is found extensively in all higher eukaryotes. We are working on different class of genes (protein kinase A, neurotransmitter receptors, cancer associated genes etc.) which generate multiple transcripts after transcription and alternative splicing of their respective pre-mRNA. We also study the transcript isoforms and encoded proteins that are differentially expressed in different cell/tissue types.
Teaching interest: Biotechnology, molecular biology and bioinformatics.
- Tabish M., Siddiqui Z.K., Nishikawa K. and Siddiqui S.S. (1995). Exclusive expression of C. elegans osm-3 kinesin gene in chemosensory neurons open to the external environment. J. Mol. Biol., 247: 377-389.
- Tabish M., Clegg R.A., Rees H.H. and Fisher M.J. (1999). Organization and alternative splicing of the Caenorhabditis elegans cyclic AMP-dependent protein kinase catalytic subunit gene (kin-1). Biochem. J., 339: 209-216.
- Yoo E.J., Jin Y.H., Jang Y.K., Bjerling P., Tabish M., Hong S.H., Ekwall K. and Park S.D. (2000). Fission yeast Hrp1, a chromodomain ATPase, is required for proper chromosome segregation and its over expression interferes with chromatin condensation. Nucleic Acids Res., 28: 2004-2011.
- Facanha A.L., Appelgren H., Tabish M., Okorokov L. and Ekwall K. (2002). The endoplasmic reticulum cation P-type ATPase Cta4p is required for control of cell shape and microtubule dynamics. J. Cell Biol., 157: 1029-1039.
- Banday A.R., Azim S. and Tabish M. (2012). Identification and expression analysis of three novel splice variants of protein kinase A catalytic β subunit gene in the mouse using combinatorial in silico and molecular biology approaches. FEBS J., 279: 572-585.
- Banday A.R., Azim S., Rehman S.U. and Tabish M. (2012). Two Novel N-terminal coding exons of Prkar1b gene of mouse: Identified using a novel approach of in silico and molecular biology techniques. Gene, 500: 73-79.
- Husain M.A, Yaseen Z., Rehman S.U., Sarwar T. and Tabish M. (2013). Naproxen intercalates with DNA and causes photocleavage through ROS generation. FEBS J., 280: 6569-6580.
- Rehman S.U., Yaseen Z., Husain M. A., Sarwar T., Ishqi H.M. and Tabish M. (2014). Interaction of 6 Mercaptopurine with calf thymus DNA-deciphering the binding mode and photoinduced DNA damage. PLOS ONE, 9: 4, e93913.
- Sarwar T., Husain M.A., Rehman S.U., Ishqi M.H. and Tabish M. (2015). Multi-spectroscopic and molecular modelling studies on the interaction of esculetin with calf thymus DNA. Molecular Biosyst., 11: 522-531.
- Husain M.A., Rehman S.U., Ishqi H.M., Sarwar T. and Tabish M. (2015). Spectroscopic and molecular docking evidence of aspirin and diflunisal binding to DNA: a comparative study. RSC Advances, 5: 64335-64345.
- Rehman S.U., Husain M.A., Sarwar T., Ishqi H.M. and Tabish M. (2015). Modulation of alternative splicing by anticancer drugs. Wiley Interdiscip. Rev. RNA, 6: 369-379.
- Rehman SU, Ishqi HM, Husain MA, Sarwar T, Tabish M. (2016). A novel exon generates ubiquitously expressed alternatively spliced new transcript of mouse Abcc4 gene. Gene, 594: 131-137.
- Husain MA, Ishqi HM, Sarwar T, Rehman SU, Tabish M. (2017). Identification and expression analysis of alternatively spliced new transcript isoform of Bax gene in mouse. Gene, 621: 21-31.
- Husain MA, Ishqi HM, Sarwar T, Rehman SU and Tabish M. (2017). Identification and expression analysis of alternatively spliced new transcript isoform of Bax gene in mouse. Gene, 621: 21-31.
- Sarwar T, Ishqi HM, Rehman SU, Husain MA, Rahman Y and Tabish M. (2017). Caffeic acid binds to the minor groove of calf thymus DNA: A multi-spectroscopic, thermodynamics and molecular modelling study. Int. J. Biol. Macromol., 98: 319-328.
- Rehman SU, Sarwar T, Husain MA, Ishqi HM and Tabish M. (2017). Identification of two novel isoforms of mouse NUR77 lacking N-terminal domains. IUBMB Life, 69 (2): 106-114.
- Rahman Y, Afrin S, Tabish M. (2018). Interaction of pirenzepine with bovine serum albumin and effect of β-cyclodextrin on binding: A biophysical and molecular docking approach. Arch Biochem Biophys., 652: 27-37.
- Ishqi HM, Sarwar T, Husain MA, Rehman SU, Tabish M. (2018). Differentially expressed novel alternatively spliced transcript variant of tumor suppressor Stk11 gene in mouse. Gene, 668: 146-154.