Department of Ilmul Advia
About the Department
This department was established in 1972 as a Post Graduate Department of Ilmul Advia (Unani Pharmacology & Pharmaceutical Sciences) of Ajmal Khan Tibbiya College & Hospital by Ministry of Health & F.W. Govt. of India and is fully funded and upgraded by UGC. The main objective of establishing the department was to uplift the educational and research standard among the Postgraduates as well as to pave the ground for the availability of the better qualified teachers, research Scholars and Pharmaceuticals of Unani Medicine. It is the first Institution of its kind in India and abroad which is associated with Interdisciplinary Research Work on Unani drugs and formulations. The department is an integrated complex which carries out teaching and multi disciplinary research activities on the system with the help and application of modern chemical, pharmaceutical and pharmacological sciences. This department offers P.G. course M.D. (Doctor of Medicine) in Ilmul Advia (Unani Pharmacology & Pharmaceutical Sciences).
The Scientific Research work on Unani Drugs and its formulations are studying regularly by PG students under the supervision of Pharmacologist, Pharmacognist and Medicinal Chemist along with experts of Ilmul Advia. Therefore, this department is a prime institution of India where Research on Unani drugs has been studying on scientific guidelines and authenticity. Thrust Area in Ilmul Advia: Pharmacology, Pharmacognosy and Standardization of Unani Drugs has been identified by the University Grants Commission (UGC) DRS Programme under SAP-II.
There are various laboratories equipped with sophisticated instruments like Fully Automated Langendorff System for Cardio-Vascular Study, B.P. recording Modern, Isolated Tissue Organ Bath used with computerized Modern Data Acquisition System, ELISA Reader & Washer, PCR, Gel Doc, Laminar Air flow, BOD Incubator, Autoclave, Digital Colony Counter, Deep Freezer (-80oC), Cooling Micro-Centrifuge, UV-Vis Spectrophotometer, Refractometer, HPLC, Microtome, Stability Study Chamber, Centrifuge etc. along with the staff which comprises the experts of Unani Tibb and modern Allied sciences.
During the last 45 years the department has made significant contribution towards the research work on Unani Medicine as well as for innovation in teaching methodology and production aid material.
Various research projects funded by the Department of AYUSH, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India and DRS-I under Special Assistance Programme (SAP), UGC has been completed in the department. Teachers of the department have participated in various conferences and presented their papers in the conferences in India as well as abroad such as Germany, Turkey, China, Uzbekistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh etc. in International Conferences so far. The DRS-II has also been sanctioned to the department and will soon be started.
The thrust areas of research of the department are Antimicrobial studies, Experimental Pharmacology, Nephrotoxicity, Hepatotoxicity, Anti-inflammatory, Anti-arthritic, Anti-diabetic, Anti-parkinson activity, CNS activity Anti-oxidant activity etc., Evaluation of Pharmacopoeial Compound Formulation, SOPs, Standardization & Quality Control of Unani Compound Formulations, Evaluation by elimination of Hepatitis B in clinical study, Scientific study on cardiac parameters and blood pressure.
To educate new generations for preserving the time-tested and globally acclaimed ancient treasures of holistic Unani Pharmacology (Ilmul Advia); and for effectively applying it in the contemporary times for the global expansion of the safe and effective holistic health care of Unani Medicine.
1. To enable the learning and correct understanding of all aspects of Ilmul Advia (Unani Pharmacology) in its original character, both theoretical and practical.
2. To develop the ability to directly study the wider texts and subject.
3. To develop the linguistic and conceptual ability to access and understand the vast classical and pre-modern literature by emphasizing on Arabic, Persian and Urdu and on Traditional Philosophy (Falsafa).
4. To enable the learning and understanding of those elements of modern science and technology which are helpful in contemporary application and wider comprehension of Ilmul Advia in its original character.
5. To enable the acquirement of research aptitude and ability according to the unique Unani paradigm e.g. Mizaj; supported by appropriate modern research techniques and findings.
6. To inculcate the ability to correlate Ilmul Advia with Unani Health care and issues of health promotion and therapy.
1. Research Projects are proved in principle through ethical committee as per requirement [Institutional Animal Ethical Committee (approved by CPCSEA), Clinical Ethical Committee]
2. All research work is tested for plagiarism before any submission.
3. Drug samples are authenticated and vouchers are submitted for future reference.