Department of Ophthalmology
About the Department
The Institute of Ophthalmology is a premier Institute of Ophthalmic training in the Country. It was established in year 1952 as collaborative effort between Gandhi Eye Hospital and Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, India. The foundation stone of the Institute was laid by Hon?ble Rajkumari Amrit Kaur, the then Health Minister Government of India on 3rd January, 1952. The founders were Dr. Zakir Husain, then Vice Chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University, who later became President of India and Dr. Mohan Lal the founder of Gandhi Eye Hospital. It was inaugurated by Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru, Prime Minister of India in 1955. This institution was established with the sole aim of providing finest postgraduate clinical training and research in all super specialties of Ophthalmology. Subsequently with the establishment of Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College at Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh in 1962, it was incorporated as a full-fledged Department of Ophthalmology in J.N. Medical College, Faculty of Medicine, AMU, Aligarh. It is imparting M.S. (Ophthalmology) of three years duration, D.O. (Postgraduate Diploma in Ophthalmology) of two years duration, undergraduate teaching and training of MBBS students. The Institute of Ophthalmology is also running two para medical courses- Diploma in Orthoptics (One year duration) and Diploma in Ophthalmic Assistant (Two years duration). The Institute of Ophthalmology is one of the most reputed institutions of ophthalmic training and teaching in the Country. The alumni of this institution are spread all over India and abroad including U.K., U.S.A. and Middle East contributing in their own way for the advancement of Ophthalmology. Aligarh is famous for three things, as mentioned in Encyclopedia Britannica, Aligarh Muslim University, Institute of Ophthalmology (Gandhi Eye Hospital) and last but not the least Locks.