AHMADI SCHOOL FOR THE VISUALLY CHALLENGED
Ahmadi School for the visually challenged was founded by Late Sahebzada Aftab Ahmad Khan in 1927. The Aligarh Muslim University started giving financial assistance to the school in 1947 and finally took over its management in 1949. The school gradually developed into a leading institution for the visually challenged in the country and is the only school of its kind being maintained by a Central University.
It is a co-education school, imparting free education through modern scientific methods and latest techniques of teaching to the visually challenged. This is probably the only institution for the visually challenged in the country where teaching of Science and Mathematics (class IX and X) has been organized in accordance with the syllabi prescribed by the Central Board of Secondary Education. Our technology philosophy is that students must be computer literate to succeed in their future careers. In order to increase computer literacy, students are regularly required to exercise their current computer skills and develop new computer skills for presentations of their understanding of concepts across the curriculum. Apart from usual academic subjects, the school also provides vocational training in Computer Typing, Instrumental & Vocal Music, Handloom Weaving, Chair-recaning. NFP- classes, Stitching and Knitting are also being successfully taught. The school also provides facilities for various games. The students are made to realize that healthy environment promotes individual wellness.
The school is mainly residential with facilities of free boarding and lodging. It has two hostels, one for the girls and the other for boys. Free medical facilities are also provided by the school.
The school admits visually challenged children originating from all over the country, irrespective of their gender, caste, creed, colour, class or religion.