Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology
Expert Member Selection Committee: Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, Institute of Medical Sciences, B.H.U.,Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh Medical Colleges and Rajasthan Medical Services
Significant impact on the service in the field of appointment
- Established the Endocrine Unit in the Department of Medicine in 1987. A nucleus of comprehensive diabetes care since 1987.
- The above two were subsequently upgraded by University Grants Commission & MHRD, New Delhi, to Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology in 2006. A separate building of the Centre with an outlay of approx Rs. 10.00 crore with autonomous management and which has 51 bedded Indoor (including Endocrine ICU beds)
- Active collaboration with Department of Biochemistry, Biotechnology Unit of the College, Molecular Endocrinology, Department of Zoology, Molecular Genetics of National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi.
- Diabetes Foot Care Centre (Regional) establishment is in progress
- Proposal for starting D.M. (Endocrinology) Degree course in progress
- Caters for a wide catchment area of north west India.
Contribution to undergraduate and postgraduate medical education
- Teaching Internal medicine & Endocrinology to undergraduate & post-graduate medical students for the last 24 years.
- Internal & External Examiner for M.B.B.S. (in Medicine) & M.D. (General Medicine) & External Examiner for D.M. (Endocrinology) in various universities/institutes
- Organized national conferences and four CMEs in Endocrinology, Recent Advances in Endocrinology, Cardiodiabetology and An Update on Issues in Medicine
- Established a nucleus of experimental studies in Diabetes from where one candidate each has completed work for award of M.Phil & Ph.D.
- A 7 days workshop on Application of Molecular techniques in areas of Karyotyping, in-situ hybridization and gene expression through Real-Time PCR in collaboration with Molecular Endocrinology, Department of Zoology is in progress.
Interest in the college and other contribution to an area relevant to the activities of the College or to the development of medical services in other ways
- Arranged community oriented health fairs/seminars for awareness & education about Diabetes
- Organised health camps for screening of D.M. & Metabolic syndrome.
- Organised frequent CMEs as Diabetic educator to postgraduate students, Faculty member of the college and to primary care physicians.
- Associated with Diabetes India group for the study of prevalence of Diabetes in India and reported three articles in Diabetes Research & Clinical Practice (Elsevier).
- Regional coordinator for screening of Metabolic Syndrome, its prevalence in India as part of Diabetes India group.
- On call for Advice & Guidance for treatment of Diabetes, Endocrine patients of in Medical College Hospitals