Centre for South African & Brazilian Studies
a) Indo-South African and Indo-Brazilian Relations: Economic, Political, Historical, Cultural and Strategic issues.
b) Cooperation and Coordination in the multilateral arenas be it IBSA, BRICS, G-4, BASIC or other organizations.
c) Contemporary issues of relevance to India, South Africa & Brazil such as poverty alleviation, social inequalities,education, ecological concerns in terms of de-forestation, food security and the existence of consolidated industrial areas etc.
d) Migration, Diaspora and inter-ethnic relations.
e) International -geo-strategic environment and India's security interests.
Thrust Areas of the Centre
(Centre for South African and Brazilian Studies)
1. India-South Africa and India-Brazil Relations: Economic, Political, Historical, Cultural and Strategic Issues.
2. Cooperation and Coordination in the multilateral arenas: IBSA, BRICS, G-4, BASIC or other organization.
3. Mechanism of Cooperation in terms of UN Security Council Reforms.
4. India-South Africa & Brazilian Relations in terms of Poverty Alleviation, Social-Inequalities & affirmative policies.
5. India-South Africa & Brazilian Relations in terms of ecological concerns viz de-forestation, food security & the consolidated industrial areas.
6. India?s trade relations with South Africa and Brazil.
7. Migration an inter-ethnic relations.
8. Multiculturalism, United Nations and Security Council Reforms.
9. BRICS Development Bank and other possible options for cooperation.
10. India & Africa (sp. South Africa) Cooperation, Historical Linkages, Shared Vision, Agrarian Reforms, Education, Infrastructure Development, Capacity Building and Technology Sharing.
11. India & Latin America (sp. Brazil) Cooperation, Historical Linkages, Shared Vision, Agrarian Reforms, Education, Infrastructure Development, Capacity Building and Technology Sharing.
12. Literature, Media & Popular Cultural.
13. Sustainability: Energy, Environment and Climate Change.
14. India and Growing Intra-Regional; Solidarity: Global Peace, Stability, Development and Cooperation.
15. India?s historical and contemporary relations with the region (Africa & Latin America)
16. Potential areas for cooperation in non-oil sectors: food security, manufacturing, higher education, entrepreneurship development, micro-finance, telecommunications, tourism, healthcare and other services.
17. Contemporary Geo-Political & Security issues & India?s concerns
The purpose of the Centre is to conduct policy oriented research of use to scholar & policy makers.