08-OCT-2019: Aligarh Muslim University version regarding events leading to rustication of two former office bearers of Student's Union.
1. On 30th July 2019, the former office bearer of the AMUSU (Mr. Hamza Sufian, Ex-VP and Mr. Huzaifa Amir, Secretary) started to pressurize the Controller of Examinations to waive off punishment imposed to those students whom the Unfair Means Committee of the University has found guilty under AMU Examination (Control of Unfair Means and Disorderly Conduct) Regulations for cheating in the examination. From the morning of that day, they created unruly atmosphere in front of the Controller's office and were arguing with him to condone the punishment already imposed on students and controller was discussing with them and convincing them that it was as per rules and if there is need to review, then it will be done according to the available procedure.
2. Despite the best effort of the Controller, they did not agree to adopt the established procedure to review the imposed punishment and moved to the Chamber of the Registrar where he was holding a briefing on a confidential file and dictating. The office staff asked them to sit and wait for sometime as in a short while he will be free and meet them but they barged into his chamber and indulged in aggressive and abusive arguments. He asked them to wait for a moment to conclude the issue but they did not heed to it and demanded immediate revocation of punishments. They did not agree to listen anything and in such an atmosphere he was forced to leave the office. Immediately Huzaifa Amir, Ex-Secretary, AMUSU put a lock in the door of the Chamber of the Registrar and a photo of the same was uploaded in the social media.
3. They also engaged themselves to spread a rumor that a police check post is proposed to be established at University Circle. The same was clarified by the university administration that there is no such proposal but they deliberately spread this false propaganda to gather students on emotional ground.
4. On 31st July evening the ex-office bearers of AMUSU with unruly mob forcefully entered into the Office of the Vice-Chancellor with arms and hockey sticks etc. They forcefully evicted the staff from the office of the Vice-Chancellor and warned for dire consequences. Incidentally the Vice-Chancellor was in Delhi. Immediately thereafter they went to one of the Main Gates of the University and forcibly closed the gate and threatened the security staff posted there for dire consequences if they interfered in their illegal act. By this act they put the University functioning to a halt.
5. On the morning of 1st August, Mr. Huzaifa Amir and Mr. Hamza Sufian forcefully closed the STS High School of the University. Then they forced the school students to join them and converted them into unruly mob. This unruly mob led Mr. Huzaifa Amir and Mr. Hamza Sufian marched towards Administrative Block of the University. This unruly mob also included antisocial elements who were not even the bonafide students of University and were armed with hockey sticks and cricket bats. This clearly showed their bad intention for coming to Administrative Block. They forcefully broke the gate of the administrative block, broke the entry doors of gallery, broke all nameplates of the officers of the university, and broke the CCTV cameras. Keeping in view the riotous activities of the unruly mob there was no option left except to call the police. Police reached the Administrative block and took legal action as per law.
6. As the Vice-Chancellor was proceeding to his official work, Ex-Vice-President and Ex-Secretary of AMUSU forcibly stopped and surrounded his car. The Police intervened in the matter and they gave voluntary arrest to the police. Police booked them as per law of the land.
7. All above narrated incidents are captured in the CCTV cameras of the University and copy of footages is also handed over to the local police administration and they have taken legal action accordingly.
8. Mr. Hamza Sufian and Mr. Huzaifa Amir have not only taken law in their hands but also damaged the University properties as well as indulged in blockade of main university road and forcibly closed the university school. Moreover, they have involved minor age school students in achieving ulterior motives. These acts were unbecoming of a student of this university; hence they were rusticated from the University according to the AMU Student's Discipline and Conduct Rules, 1985. University also filed four FIRs which were registered as FIR no. 435 dated 30.07.2019 (under section 147, 504, 506, 332 and 353 of IPC); FIR no. 442 dated 01.08.2019 (under section 147,427 and 353 of IPC); FIR no. 443 dated 01.08.2019 (under section 147, 148 and 353 of IPC); FIR no. 444 dated 01.08.2019 (under section 342, 352 and 511 of IPC).
9. So far as their period of jail is concerned, the University administration has no role to play. They were in judicial custody not only for the above incidents but there have been other registered cases against them filled in various previous incidents not by the University but filed by other individuals.
10. Previously also they were indulging in repeated Acts of Indiscipline which are on record: -
(a) Misbehaviour and use of abusive language with Dean Students' Welfare leading to resignation of DSW and his team.
(b) Misbehaviour with Dean, Faculty of Life Sciences and forcible closure of office of Dean, F/o Life Science while B.Sc admissions were going on.
(c) Repeated undue pressure on the university authorities to make ad-hoc and daily wage appointments on their recommendation.
(d) Misbehaviour with the Provost, Allama Iqbal Hall including forcibly stopping him on the way and threats to his family members at his residence.
(e) Misbehaviour with female Chairperson, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and attempts to force her to leak examination paper of selection of nursing staff.
Public Relations Officer
Aligarh Muslim University