13-AUG-2020: August 13, 2020
This has reference to the appeal of the Vice-Chancellor dated 10 August 2020 urging AMU alumni for donation to help needy students through procurement of gadgets/facilities to be used in online teaching-learning.
This initiative of AMU is similar to those made by several other academic institutions such as IITs, Universities etc. to support underprivileged students in online teaching learning.
Since the appeal of AMU went into public domain, a number of queries/clarifications have been generated. Thereafter, the office bearers of several alumni associations expressed interest in this project and discussed the matter with the University along with their suggestions.
It was taken into account that in the present circumstances due to pandemic, there may be logistic limitations related to procurement and disbursal of gadgets/facilities to individual students.
1. The scheme is not meant for all the students of AMU. It is meant for only the needy ones.
2. The money raised in denominations of Rs. 50,000/- or more or less from of the alumni will be pooled up together. The Alumni are free to donate any amount they may deem appropriate.
3. The amount donated by AMU Alumni can also be utilized for upgrading of existing common facilities of gadgets at the level of halls of residences/ library/ department/ college/ faculty. This may include creating facilities such as mini recording, writing monitors etc. for recording and real time online teaching at the department/college/faculty level.
4. Applications will be invited from the students for their needs towards attending online classes.
5. A committee shall be constituted for disbursal and creation and up gradation of existing common facilities/gadgets at different places depending upon the need and requirements. The committee will look into the applications of the students and call them, if required, to assess the genuineness of their needs and also the extent of help they require. The process will be similar to how the scholarships are decided for needy students.
6. Obviously, this can be done only after we know how much money is being contributed by the alumni in all.
7. The gadgets varying from the laptops/desktops to smartphones and also the network plans will be recommended by the committee for the needy students.
8. The process of buying the gadgets in bulk or the refurbished ones will be also be explored.
9. The above is a roadmap that we have in mind. The actual line of action may vary slightly, depending on how things unfold actually.
Equity, affordability, inclusion and quality have always been the hallmarks of education at AMU. It is reiterated that our University is committed to providing best possible online teaching learning facilities with the resources available and urges alumni for help in this initiative.
This clarification is being issued with the approval of the Vice-Chancellor
With best regards
(Prof. M. M. Sufyan Beg)
Chairman, Alumni Affairs Committee