Aligarh Muslim University Centre, Murshidabad was established by A.M.U. in 2010 empowered by Section 5(2)(C) of the A.M.U. (Amendment) Act,1981 and under Section 12(2) of the University Act. [Act XL 1920 and A.M.U. (Amendment) Act,1972] .
The President of India in her capacity as the Visitor accorded sanction to establish two Centres of Aligarh Muslim University, one at Malappuram (Kerala) and the other at Murshidabad (West Bengal) (Ref: Lr. No.: F. 3-9/2008 Desk(U) dt. 27.04.10 from the Under Secretary MHRD, Govt. of India) in pursuance to the A.M.U. Courts resolution dt. 02.12.2007 (Other items, No. 4), Executive Council's approval on 17.01.2008 (item No. 20) and the Academic Council's approval on 12.01.2008 (item No.:24).
The Centre is located in the educationally and socially backward, Muslim-majority Murshidabad district of West Bengal.
The classes of the first batch are started on 06.03.2011 in a rented building (102 No. Howrah Biri Building, NH-34, Mangaljan, Ghorsala, Raghunathganj) at Murshidabad. The Centre, from its inception offers two academic programmes viz. B.A.LL.B. (Hons.) & M.B.A. The functioning of the Centre is likely to be shifted to the temporary structure constructed in its own spacious (288.39 Acres) Campus at Ahiran Site.