The Department of History, Aligarh Muslim University, is heir to the tradition established by the founder, Sir Syed Ahmad Khan. In the M.A.O. College, which preceded the University, careful attention was paid to the teaching of History. Sardar K.M. Panikker, the famous historian and statesman, was appointed Professor in History at the College and held that position when the college was converted into the Aligarh Muslim University by the Act of 1920.
In 1968 the Department of History was upgraded as a Centre of Advanced Study in History by the University Grants Commission (UGC) under its Special Assistance Programme (SAP). Currently we are a rare Centre in the entire nation running through our VII cycle which started in 2011.