The department of Applied Sciences was established in 1958 in the Faculty of Engineering and Technology which was later split into three sections namely, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. In January 1988, the Mathematics section was upgraded to a full fledged Department of Applied Mathematics. Department imparts teaching of mathematics courses to B Tech, M Tech and B E (Evening) students of all branches. Currently, the department has 6 Professor, 3 Associate Professor and 3 Assistant Professor.
The department started M Phil and PhD programs in various specializations in 1988 and since then 59 students have obtained M Phil and 57 PhD degrees from the department. In the session 2015-16, 6 students are enrolled in PhD program. Faculty members of the department have published more than 300 research papers in National and International journals of repute.
Department has digital data based Seminar Library with around 2500 books and it maintains a Computer Research Laboratory for Research Scholars.