Sir Shah Sulaiman Hall
is one of the oldest halls of residence of Aligarh Muslim University. It was
named after Sir Shah Muhammad Sulaiman,
the first Indian Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court and former Vice
Chancellor of the University. It occupies a premier location in Aligarh Muslim
University Campus, It is one of the largest halls of the university.
At present, it accommodates approx. 650 Students of undergraduate, post
graduate as well as research scholars of Zakir Hussain College of Engineering
and Technology. It was established in 1802 by a French Colonist. It
stands today as one of the oldest architectural example of the University.
ABOUT SIR SHAH MUHAMMAD SULAIMAN
Sir Shah Mohammed Sulaiman was born on 3
February 1886 and received his early education at Jaunpur and at Muir College,
Allahabad. He had been an exceptionally brilliant student and topped the list
of successful candidates at the graduation examination of the Allahabad
In 1906, he was awarded a State European
Scholarship by the Government and proceeded to England for higher studies at
the Christ's College, Cambridge and the Trinity College. He was called to the
Bar and obtained his LL.D. from Dublin. He returned to India in 1911.
On his return from England, Shah Mohammed
Sulaiman joined the Allahabad Bar. Owing to his highly impressive performance
at the Bar, he was offered a seat at the Bench in 1920 at the age of 34 and was
made a permanent Judge of the Allahabad High Court in 1923. He was soon
appointed the first Indian Chief Justice of the Allahabad High Court.
He took over as Honorary Vice Chancellor of
A.M.U. in 1929. He held this office thrice and the total period was about four
Sulaiman Hall is a tribute
to this great personality. The hall was established in 1945, when Sir Ziauddin
was University's Vice-Chancellor. Following are its hostels
Khan Hostel Bhopal
Das Hostel Hasrat
House Qidwai Hostel