INTRODUCTION TO SIR SYED HALL
Sir Syed's dream of uplifting the Muslims community in the
field of Education was substantially realized when Lord Lytton laid the
foundation stone of MAO College in 1877. Later his efforts bore fruits when MAO
College was raised to the status of a University in 1920.
The premises of Sir Syed Hall are engraved on the hearts of
Muslims in India. In Sir Syed Hall (South) complex many heritage buildings are
included such as Strachey Hall, Mushtaq Manzil, Asman Manzil, Nizam Museum and
Lytton Library. Besides these buildings the famous Victoria Gate (1883) is
situated in the Southern direction of the Hall and Jama Masjid is in the
Historically AMU is a residential University. Sir Syed Hall
is the oldest Hall of the University. In its character it differs from other
halls of residence. In 1983 due to administrative reasons Sir Syed Hall was
bifurcated into two halls and one portion was named Sir Syed Hall (South).
There are 107 penta-seated rooms in the hall consisting of 6 hostels, in which
515 students are residing. This hall is an example of harmonious corporate
living in the University where students each with his own diverse language and
culture live together.
Following dignitaries have served this prestigious
Hall as Provosts
Name of the
Tajuddin Taj Shamsi