Maulana Syed Abul Hasan Ali Nadvi laid the foundation stone of this Hall on August 28, 1984 in the memory of great Islamic thinker and Urdu poet, Mohammad Iqbal, popularly known as Allama Iqbal. He was born in 1876 in Sialkot. At sixteen, Iqbal entered Sialkot's College and was married to Karim Bibi, daughter of a physician. When he was nineteen, Iqbal moved to Government College, Lahore, where he studied with Prof. Arnold, who had left Aligarh's M.A.O. College to join the Lahore College. At Aligarh, Arnold had completed 'The Preaching of Islam', perhaps the first book by a western scholar to note that Islam spread by peaceful means and not by the sword.
Iqbal went to Europe and studied philosophy at Cambridge and Law at London's Lincoln Inn. He also wrote a dissertation on Persian metaphysics on which Munich University awarded him a doctorate. He became a close friend of Sir Ross Masood, grandson of Sir Syed. He profoundly influenced the philosophical and religious outlook of younger generation of Muslims and Hindus through his Urdu and Persian poetry. Allama Iqbal was highly influenced by Sir Syed Ahmed Khan. Sir Syed and Iqbal did a lot to awaken the Muslims of their age out of their deep slumber to the new horizons of the world.Both the thinkers opposed rigidity and narrow-mindedness. They impressed upon the people that those who follow the tradition strictly, could not be dynamic. According to them, historical background plays an important role in nation building hence there is nothing more disgraceful for a nation than to forget its own history.Allama Iqbal visited the Aligarh Muslim University on November 24, 1928 and was granted the honorary life membership of the A.M.U. Students' Union.
The Vice Chancellor,Aligarh Muslim University,Lt Gen Zameer Uddin Shah, PVSM, SM, VSM has re-designated the Hall as Allama Iqbal Boarding House for Senior Secondary School (Boys).The said Boarding House shall be directly under the administrative control of Principal, Senior Secondary School (Boys).w.e.f 2nd July 2014.The present strength of the Boarding House is of 650 students.